Identities: Identity & Film blog task

1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.

I am Ornela
I am female
I am Albanian
I am short
I am 17
I am a British citizen
I am a film addict
I am aspiring to work in the film industry
I am able to speak more than one language
I am a media student 
I am always wearing a jacket
I ama feminist
I am shy
I am excited and anxious for the future 
I am passionate
I am a fan of sports
I am a music lover
I am keen to learn how to drive
I am interested in travelling
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson or simply choose your favourite film if you weren't present). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?
Image result for inceptionImage result for avatarImage result


Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film: 

How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?



Wilde (1997, dir. Brian Gilbert)



Philadelphia (1993, dir. Jonathan Demme)

The Wedding Banquet (1993, dir. Ang Lee)

The Kids are Alright (2010, dir. Lisa Cholodenko)






Pride (2014, dir. Matthew Warchus)

In this trailer we see the struggle that the gay community faced in order to gain rights. The element of comedy also makes this more relatable to audeinces and therefore can appeal to other demographical groups other than the LGBT communtiy.


5) How have representations of LGBT issues changed in recent years? What examples from across the media (not just film) can you provide to support this view?

The representation of the LGBT community has changed over the the years evidently shown through theses films. We see a drastic change from when being gay was against the law to now where they have been given more rights for example getting married. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identities and the Media: Post-colonialism & Orientalism

Identities: Feminism